CHAD also maintains an extensive collection of research and documentary materials for more than 1,000 historic sites and structures in the Mid-Atlantic region. The collection includes measured drawings, photographs, and narrative histories, as well as other resources for building research and a study collection of architectural materials. The collection is open for research and reference to students, the preservation community, and the general public.
(Center for Historic Architecture and Design, University of Delaware, Newark, DE, 1990-02) Bourque, Monique; Herman, Bernard; Siders, Rebecca; Zeigler, Nancy
The documentation of the Lancaster County Almshouse and Hospital was
funded by a gift from the Edward Hand Medical Heritage Foundation to the
Delaware Valley Threatened Buildings Survey at the University of Delaware.
The research and documentation was conducted by a team from the Center for
Historic Architecture and Engineering, College of Urban Affairs and Public
Policy, University of Delaware. Fieldwork, measured drawings, and
architectural analysis were completed during the summer of 1989 by Dr.
Bernard L. Herman, Nancy Zeigler, and Gabrielle Lanier. Large-format
photographs for the Historic American Buildings Survey documentation were
taken by Dr. David L. Ames. Research into the daily activities, conditions
of life, and general policies of the almshouse was conducted by Nancy Zeigler
and Monique Bourque in the fall of 1989.
We are grateful to Dr. David Wiley, Dr. William Atlee, and the members
of the Edward Hand Medical Heritage Foundation for their support,
encouragement, and participation in the documentation of the Lancaster County
Almshouse and Hospital. We hope this report will lead to the preservation,
restoration, and interpretation of this historically and architecturally
The Augustine Beach Hotel was documented by the Mid-Atlantic Historic Buildings and Landscapes Survey crew in the spring of 2012 as part of the Center for Historic Architecture and Design’s ongoing documentation of historic resources in New Castle County, Delaware. The project includes a written report, seven AutoCAD drawings of the hotel as well as Delaware Cultural Resource Survey (CRS) forms 12 and 13 which contain the photo log and photos for the submitted report.
(2010-03-05T16:53:26Z) Center for Historic Architecture and Design
These two houses are significant as examples of the early twentieth century practice of subdividing parcels at the edge of farms to provide housing for family members or for speculative building. 1605 was built between 1927 and 1930, and 1601 was constructed circa 1940, as part of a series of lots broken out by William Hanby and
his wife Daisy.
The Dukes Farm is located north of Cedar Swamp Road, approximately one mile east of Taylors Bridge in Blackbird
Hundred, New Castle County, Delaware. The 420 acre farm is bounded by the estuaries of the Blackbird Creek to the west and north and by those of the Delaware River to the
east. The farm complex lies at the end of an unpaved lane, circa 1500 feet north of Cedar Swamp Road. The complex consists of a farmhouse and five outbuilding: a modern
garage, a boat/machine shed with an attached kennel, a granarylcorn crib, a modern machine shed, and a dairy barn with an attached sheeplmachine shed.