Newark Post

Permanent URI for this community

The Newark Post is the weekly newspaper serving Greater Newark. It has emerged as the leading source of news and information for western New Castle County through the website and its print edition that is distributed to 12,000 households. It publishes on Fridays. Its news and advertising office is located in Suite 109 in the Pomeroy Station complex at 218 East Main Street.

The Post was founded by Everett C. Johnson in 1910 with the motto, "Good Roads, Flowers, Parks, Better Schools, Trees, Pure Water, Fresh Air and Sunshine for Somebody and Work for Somebody." Serving Newark, Delaware, the Republican paper, was published every Wednesday and was originally located on the corner of Main Street and South College Avenue. Johnson was a native of Sussex County and became interested in journalism during his years as a student at the University of Delaware. In addition to editing and publishing the Newark Post, Johnson was elected to the state legislature in 1910. In 1916, Johnson established the Press of Kells, a fine printing shop, and constructed a building at the corner of South College Avenue and Park Place to house both the print shop and the Newark Post.

Following Johnson's death in 1926, his wife, Louise Staton Johnson, continued as editor and owner until 1935. After a series of owners, Richard Ware purchased the Newark Post in 1930 and continued as sole owner until 1969. In 1963, the Newark Weekly had begun publication under owner Reginald Rockwell. In 1970, the two papers merged to become the Weekly Post. In 1972, the Post attempted to launch a daily edition, but it proved unsuccessful and the paper reverted to weekly publication. In 1976, the Weekly Post was purchased by Whitney Communications Corporation which continues ownership today through the Chesapeake Publishing Corporation.

By 1980, the Weekly Post had shifted away from local news coverage to focusing mainly advertisements. In June 1985, the NewArk Post was revived and became a free weekly, but four years later, the newspaper was renamed the Post and returned to paid circulation. In June 1993, the Newark Post resumed publication under its original name, to reflect a renewed focus on the printing local news. It continues publication under that name through the present.

The Newark Post was part of the 2015-2017 Delaware Digital Newspaper Project, a project supported by the National Endowment for the Humanities and the Library of Congress. The years 1910-1922 can be accessed through the Chronicling America database:


Items in this collection are presented for their historic and research value. We note that viewers may find some content objectionable.

Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. Permission to publish or reproduce is required from the copyright holder. Please contact the Newark Post,