2008 Volume 9 Number 2
Permanent URI for this collection
Browsing 2008 Volume 9 Number 2 by Issue Date
Now showing 1 - 5 of 5
Results Per Page
- ItemParadise Transformed?: CAFTA and Costa Rica's New Politics(Latin American Studies Program, University of Delaware, Newark, DE, 2008-12-30) Frajman, EduardoFollowing a worrying period of decreasing citizen participation in politics, social instability, and an unpopular government, Costa Rican democracy has recovered its vitality. The catalyst for this transformation has been the debate around CAFTA. Both sides have shown a willingness to respect democratic rules and institutions, as policymaking has ceased to be the purview of political elites and political leaders have had to contend with a broad network of citizen activists demanding transparency and accountability.
- ItemPolíticas y medidas para fomentar las remesas familiares en la República Dominicana: impacto económico y lecciones para Cuba(Latin American Studies Program, University of Delaware, Newark, DE, 2008-12-30) González-Corzo, Mario A.; Larson, ScottComo resultado de la creciente importancia de las remesas en su economía, la República Dominicana ha implementado una serie de medidas e innovaciones tecnológicas con el fin de fomentar el crecimiento de estos flujos unilaterales de capital privado.
- ItemUndoing the Damage: The Growing Backlash to Neoliberalism in Latin America(Latin American Studies Program, University of Delaware, Newark, DE, 2008-12-30) Gent, Michael J.This paper looks first at the criticisms of neoliberal structural adjustment articulated by the leaders of Latin America’s Jesuits in 1996, and reports on evidence suggesting their criticisms remain valid a decade later. The paper then documents ways in which neoliberal hegemony is being challenged in the region. This section discusses changes in the political landscape, the rise of grassroots movements including the World Social Forum, the influence of organized labor, weakening of international financial and trade institutions, and growing heterodoxy in academic economics.
- ItemOn "Approaches to Teaching Puig's Kiss of the Spider Woman", Daniel Balderston and Francine Masiello, eds.(Latin American Studies Program, University of Delaware, Newark, DE, 2008-12-30) Schmidt-Cruz, Cynthia
- ItemEspionaje alemán en Latinoamérica: el caso de Colombia(Latin American Studies Program, University of Delaware, Newark, DE, 2008-12-30) Hernández García, José Ángel