MSS 0784 - Friends of School Hill oral histories and images

Permanent URI for this collection

Audiovisual material in this collection has been migrated to the Artstor platform, and is available at this link: Transcripts from the audiovisual material remain in UDSpace.

This collection contains oral histories and images collected during the event, "Preserving the Past: Gathering History & Mementos of the New London Road / School Hill Community," Saturday, May 20, 2017. The event was sponsored by the Friends of School Hill, NAACP of Delaware, the City of Newark, and the University of Delaware.

Initially built in 1922 with funding from P. S. du Pont and the Delaware School Auxiliary Association, the New London Avenue School served African American children in grades 1-8 until integration took place in 1958. The school and surrounding property, also known as “School Hill,” was an important meeting place for neighborhood residents for social and recreational gatherings as well. In 1961, the City of Newark purchased the building and grounds and it ultimately became the George Wilson Center.


Items in this collection are presented for their historic and research value. We note that viewers may find some content objectionable.

Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. Permission to publish is required from the copyright holder.

Please contact Special Collections, University of Delaware Library: