MSS 0784 - Friends of School Hill oral histories and images, May 2017

 

This collection contains oral histories and images collected during the event, "Preserving the Past: Gathering History & Mementos of the New London Road / School Hill Community," Saturday, May 20, 2017. The event was sponsored by the Friends of School Hill, NAACP of Delaware, the City of Newark, and the University of Delaware.

Initially built in 1922 with funding from P. S. du Pont and the Delaware School Auxiliary Association, the New London Avenue School served African American children in grades 1-8 until integration took place in 1958. The school and surrounding property, also known as “School Hill,” was an important meeting place for neighborhood residents for social and recreational gatherings as well. In 1961, the City of Newark purchased the building and grounds and it ultimately became the George Wilson Center.

Use of materials from this collection beyond the exceptions provided for in the Fair Use and Educational Use clauses of the U.S. Copyright Law may violate federal law. Permission to publish is required from the copyright holder. Please contact Special Collections, University of Delaware Library: http://www.lib.udel.edu/cgi-bin/askspec.cgi

Recent Submissions

View more